FreeBSD desktop?

ray at redshift.com ray at redshift.com
Mon Aug 1 12:10:06 GMT 2005

| Have you looked at the Handbook?  It pretty much covers what you need to
| know to get working.  Also, freebsd-questions@ would be a better email
| list (rather than -hackers, which is for hacking on FreeBSD code, etc).

I did read through the handbook, but I see I missed a couple of sections in it.
I missed freebsd-questions on the list.. I was looking for something like
freebsd-desktop :-D  I am only subscribed to hackers and a couple of others to
keep tabs on servers stuff.

| Better?  Depends of course.  I (as do many others) use FreeBSD on my
| desktop and laptop, and feel no need to use anything else really.

Okay, good to hear.  I love FreeBSD - I dumped Linux redhat a couple of years
ago and moved all of our servers over to FreeBSD and just love it.  I really
want to be able to make FreeBSD my desktop and it seems like i should be able to
get it up and running and configured like SUSE or Redhat or Xandros or something
along those lines with a little work.

| Not sure what you want here, but if you aren't willing to change some
| apps, then you shouldn't switch.  FreeBSD/linux/etc are not Windows, so
| you can't expect them to be Windows.  If you are willing to make a
| change of email readers (try Thunderbird, Mozilla, etc, etc) and a few
| other programs, you'd be fine.

I have a drive tray on my machine, so I was going to keep XP around on another
drive and pop that in to access a shared drive D maybe.  I read about a product
called codeweaver that looks pretty good - but I'm not sure if it will work on BSD

Thanks again.

Ray