region code in cdrecord

David Gilbert dgilbert at dclg.ca
Mon Apr 25 09:03:47 PDT 2005

Tim> I wouldn't "rather", but I think it might be simpler.  I also
Tim> seem to recall hearing about discs whose region-coding was done
Tim> in such a way that they would not play on unlocked players.

Well (to put that to rest), there are two types of region coding in
use on DVDs.  The first is the one we're talking about here ... which
is a code in the files that tells the DVD player which region the disk
is.  Early "unlocked" players were simply patched to accept any
region.

The second type is code in the menu system that queries the region
code and then acts on it.  Early players returned '0' for this
function ... and the disks were coded to not play.

The fix for this was players that you could change the region on
... and "unlocked" players of this type allow you to set the region an
unlimited number of times.  "locked" players usually let you set the
region some small number of times.

Dave.