running freebsd in qemu using the "-nographic" option ?

Aziz KEZZOU opensource.enthousiat at gmail.com
Thu Apr 7 14:22:03 PDT 2005

> > >So basically what I want to do now is mount the freeBSD image in a
> > >loopback and modify the boot.conf file directly. Anyone knows how to
> > >do this under linux (2.6 if relevant) ? BSD seems to have a "weird"
> > >way of organizing the disk. Which file system shoud I support ?
>
> I would just do it on FreeBSD - man mdconfig. Last I looked (years ago) the UFS
> support on linux was not actively maintained and I would be very surprised if
> they have UFS2 support. I've had to create my own root images for doing work on
> xen so I know it works just fine. If you insist on doing it on Linux, the
> command is losetup.
> to bind:
> > losetup /dev/loop0 <root image>
> to unbind:
> > losetup -d /dev/loop0

Hi,
I am now trying to do it now on a FreeBSD machine so I did :

su-2.05b#mdconfig -a -t vnode -f freebsd.img
=> response : "md0"

Then I mounted successfully :  /dev/md0s1d (/var), /dev/md0s1e(/tmp)
and  /dev/md0s1f (/usr). But I can not mount /dev/md0s1a which is the
root directory where "/boot/boot.conf" is located :
su-2.05b# mount /dev/md0s1a /mnt/a
mount: /dev/md0s1a: Operation not permitted

Any hint ?

-aziz