ad0: FAILURE - WRITE_DMA

Søren Schmidt sos at DeepCore.dk
Sat Oct 9 11:26:24 PDT 2004

Mikhail P. wrote:
> Hi,
>
> This question probably has been discussed numerous times, but I'm somewhat
> unsure what really causes ATA failures..
>
> I have pretty basic server here which has two IDE drives - each is 200GB.
> System is FreeBSD-5.2.1-p9
> That server has been setup about 9 months ago, and just about 3 months ago my
> logs quickly filled up with:
> ad0: FAILURE - WRITE_DMA status=51<READY,DSC,ERROR> error=10<NID_NOT_FOUND>
> LBA=268435455

Hmm, that means that the drive couldn't find the sector you asked for.
Now, what has me wondering is that it is the exact sector where we
switch to 48bit adressing mode. Anyhow, I've just checked on the old
Maxtor preproduktion 48bit reference drive I have here and it crosses
the limit with no problems.
What controller are you using ? not all supports 48bit mode correctly..

--

-Søren