ad0: FAILURE - WRITE_DMA

Mikhail P. miha at ghuug.org
Sat Oct 9 11:42:30 PDT 2004

On Saturday 09 October 2004 18:26, Søren Schmidt wrote:
> Hmm, that means that the drive couldn't find the sector you asked for.
> Now, what has me wondering is that it is the exact sector where we
> switch to 48bit adressing mode. Anyhow, I've just checked on the old
> Maxtor preproduktion 48bit reference drive I have here and it crosses
> the limit with no problems.
> What controller are you using ? not all supports 48bit mode correctly..

There's VIA's motherboard (not sure about the model name).

Here's info regarding ata controller from dmesg:
atapci0: <VIA 8235 UDMA133 controller> port 0xac00-0xac0f at device 17.1 on
pci0

I will be able to test the drives (the ones which I thought of as "failed") on
another board within 10 days or so.

regards,
M.