Getting root via a user that was obtained via NIS.

Josef Karthauser joe at FreeBSD.org
Wed Mar 3 14:36:24 PST 2004

Anyone with a bit of NIS saviness care to help me?  I've got a FBSD5.2
machine that is connected to a larger network of suns and linux boxen.
Accounts are coordinated via yellow pages and I've managed to get the
FBSD box's NIS setup so that I can log in as one of those users.

The problem is that it appears that I can't SU to root from a user that
exists in the NIS map, but not locally.  I've added that user to
/etc/group (wheel) but I get:

    phoenix:~  su root
    Password:
    su: Sorry
    phoenix:~  id
    uid=9876(jlk23) gid=20(staff) groups=20(staff), 0(wheel), 14(sysadmin)
    phoenix:~  grep jlk23 /etc/group
    wheel:*:0:root,joe,jlk23
    phoenix:~  ypcat passwd | grep jlk23
    jlk23:XXXX:9876:20:Joe Karthauser:/users/jlk23:/local/bin/tcsh

Any ideas?

Joe
--
Josef Karthauser (joe at tao.org.uk)	       http://www.josef-k.net/