Standard sbc and pcm support in GENERIC kernel?

Randy Pratt rpratt1950 at earthlink.net
Fri Mar 5 14:59:30 PST 2004

On Fri, 5 Mar 2004 14:49:45 -0500
John Baldwin <jhb at FreeBSD.org> wrote:

> On Wednesday 03 March 2004 04:31 pm, Randy Pratt wrote:
> > On Wed,  3 Mar 2004 17:03:40 +0100 (CET) you wrote:
> > > I've been on the question list for some time, and I have noticed
> > > that many people do not know how to get sound support up and
> > > running in FreeBSD 5.X. I know that re-compiling the kernel is easy
> > > enough, but there are still people not willing to do so, as I have
> > > noticed on the list. Therefor I thought it might be an idea to put
> > > sound support in the GENERIC kernel configuration, so that newbies
> > > will no longer find themselves stuck with that.
> >
> > I think I've read more than one time about problems fitting the
> > installation on the 1.44M floppies.
>
> That's no longer a problem in 5.x.  I would like to see pcm(4) added back to
> GENERIC on 5.x.  4.x has been around long enough that its GENERIC can
> probably just stay the way it is.

That being the case, then there's no reason not to have it in GENERIC
in 5.x.  Anyone that doesn't want/need it will be recompiling the
kernel to remove other unused options.

The less new (desktop) users have to do to get up and running is
probably a good thing to do.  Any concern I had is gone.

Best regards,

Randy