SPAM/virii apparently from freeBSD addresses.

Andrew Boothman andrew at mux.org.uk
Mon Mar 1 09:08:22 PST 2004

Dag-Erling Smørgrav wrote:

>>>Somewhere out there there is a ?Virus?/?Hacker?/?Spammer?
>>>getting really annoying..
>>
>>Yeah, but what do you expect anyone to do about it?
>

> Swen and MyDoom are easy to detect and reject at the SMTP stage.  The
> fact that our mail servers don't do this is a PITA, as it forces list
> subscribers to accept them as well (if you reject list mail because it
> contains a virus, Mailman disables your subscription).

You shoudn't reject email because it contains Swen or MyDoom anyway, all
you'll do is generate a bounce message to someone who never sent you the
infected mail in the first place - becuase the SMTP envelope addresses
are forged.

I believe the correct thing to do is to accept in and silently drop it.