5.2 install hangs

db db at traceroute.dk
Thu Jan 22 16:40:57 PST 2004

On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 20:42:33 +0100
des at des.no (Dag-Erling Smørgrav) wrote:

> > > do you have anything connected to the secondary ata channel?
> > The cdrom-drive has one channel and the disk and the floppy share the
> > other. (If that's what you mean).
>
> I would put the floppy with the CD-ROM, though I don't think it would
> make a difference here since you also tested it with the floppy
> disconnected.

Yeah, it is strange. Disconnecting the floppy didn't help, but putting it on the same channel as the cd-drive (and making the cd-drive master) helped.

> OK.  You might not believe this but I've actually had IRQ conflicts on
> fairly recent Compaq ProLiant servers - ATA controllers seem to be
> very uncomfortable with sharing IRQs.  Could you double-check that
> your BIOS hasn't assigned IRQ 14 or 15 to any other devices?

I've got a compaq proliant 1500 server, byt never tried installing anything on it. But someday, freebsd will live there too ;-)

Thanks for you help!

br
socketd