5.2 install hangs

Dag-ErlingSmørgrav des at des.no
Thu Jan 22 11:43:47 PST 2004

Socketd <db at traceroute.dk> writes:
> des at des.no (Dag-Erling Smørgrav) wrote:
> > how long did you wait?
> Not long, 1-1½ min I guess.

That should be long enough.

> > do you have anything connected to the secondary ata channel?
> The cdrom-drive has one channel and the disk and the floppy share the
> other. (If that's what you mean).

I would put the floppy with the CD-ROM, though I don't think it would
make a difference here since you also tested it with the floppy
disconnected.

I assume that all devices have the jumpers set correctly and in
accordance with their position on the cable?  If in doubt, set them
all on "cable select" and take note that if a device is alone on a
channel, it should be at the end of the cable.

> > is anything other than ata0 and ata1 listed as using irq 14 and 15?
> Nope.
> > do you have "pnp os" set to "no" in youe bios?
> Yep :-)

OK.  You might not believe this but I've actually had IRQ conflicts on
fairly recent Compaq ProLiant servers - ATA controllers seem to be
very uncomfortable with sharing IRQs.  Could you double-check that
your BIOS hasn't assigned IRQ 14 or 15 to any other devices?

DES
Dag-Erling Smørgrav - des at des.no