Status GBDE attach at boot

Simon L. Nielsen simon at FreeBSD.org
Sun Jan 18 05:43:47 PST 2004

On 2004.01.17 14:53:58 -0500, Allan Fields wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm interested to know what may be in the pipeline as far as GBDE
> boot time attach/automation support.  Has anyone committed to
> implementing these features?  (I don't see it anymore (on the 5.3
> todo list) in releng pages.)

5.2 already has support for attaching GBDE volumes at boot by using the
/etc/rc.d/gbde script.  I have been using it for a while, and it works
OK.

I sent a patch yesterday to the freebsd-rc mailing list make the gbde
rc.d script work a bit better (see
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/FreeBSD-rc/message/659 ).

> As a fstab is concerned with mount hack, this is the right approach

I think it's better to just use a rc.d script to attach gbde volumes
before the normal filesystem mount, since it seems more "clean". Of
course the rc.d script could be enhanced e.g. to support random keys,
like your "temp" feature.

--
Simon L. Nielsen
FreeBSD Documentation Team