Status GBDE attach at boot

Allan Fields bsd at afields.ca
Sun Jan 18 07:20:31 PST 2004

On Sun, Jan 18, 2004 at 02:43:42PM +0100, Simon L. Nielsen wrote:
> On 2004.01.17 14:53:58 -0500, Allan Fields wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm interested to know what may be in the pipeline as far as GBDE
> > boot time attach/automation support.  Has anyone committed to
> > implementing these features?  (I don't see it anymore (on the 5.3
> > todo list) in releng pages.)
>
> 5.2 already has support for attaching GBDE volumes at boot by using the
> /etc/rc.d/gbde script.  I have been using it for a while, and it works
> OK.

Ahh.. ok, didn't see the changes yet. That is a straight forward
approach - could there just as easily be a similar facility for other
geoms?

> I sent a patch yesterday to the freebsd-rc mailing list make the gbde
> rc.d script work a bit better (see
> http://groups.yahoo.com/group/FreeBSD-rc/message/659 ).
>
> > As a fstab is concerned with mount hack, this is the right approach
>
> I think it's better to just use a rc.d script to attach gbde volumes
> before the normal filesystem mount, since it seems more "clean". Of

This is good including specifying lockfile dir, but implies passphrase
entry before continuing on always the console?

Which brings us to passphrase from file/filedesc issue vs. from tty
/ on command line.  Could password prompts be read from another
terminal or from secure source like key device or remote terminal
while the booting continues in the mean-time?

> course the rc.d script could be enhanced e.g. to support random keys,
> like your "temp" feature.

Yup. Idea was raised previously on the lists by lucky and phk.
Seems like a good idea for swap,/tmp setup.

> --
> Simon L. Nielsen
> FreeBSD Documentation Team

Allan Fields