Filesystem marker.

David Gilbert dgilbert at dclg.ca
Wed Jan 14 08:25:28 PST 2004

Is there a set of bytes at some offset in a block that is common to
any instance of a BSD ufs filesystem?  I ask because recently my home
machine erased it's fdisk block _and_ the bsdlabel with it.  It
certainly didn't have time to erase the whole disk, but I'm having
trouble guessing where the partitions are.

/usr/ports/sysutils/gpart will look for partitions on a disk ... but
it only knows to look for bsd disklabels ... not bsd filesystems.
Ideally, I'd like to make a bsd filesystem module for gpart with some
pointers from the group.

Dave.