Filesystem marker.

Alexander Kabaev ak03 at gte.com
Wed Jan 14 08:41:53 PST 2004

Look for ffsfind.c elsewhere on Internet. I used one when I incidentally
relabeled a device from under a host on our SAN array. Had to modify it
slightly to recognize superblocks UFS2 on FreeBSD side, but on a bright
side, it worked pretty much unchanged on Solaris box.

Just in any case, I saved my copy at
http://people.freebsd.org/~kan/ffsfind.c

 On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 10:48:45 -0500
David Gilbert <dgilbert at dclg.ca> wrote:

> Is there a set of bytes at some offset in a block that is common to
> any instance of a BSD ufs filesystem?  I ask because recently my home
> machine erased it's fdisk block _and_ the bsdlabel with it.  It
> certainly didn't have time to erase the whole disk, but I'm having
> trouble guessing where the partitions are.
>
> /usr/ports/sysutils/gpart will look for partitions on a disk ... but
> it only knows to look for bsd disklabels ... not bsd filesystems.
> Ideally, I'd like to make a bsd filesystem module for gpart with some
> pointers from the group.
>
> Dave.
>
> --

Alexander Kabaev