5.3 Release and Realtek

Daniel O'Connor doconnor at gsoft.com.au
Sun Dec 19 16:04:12 PST 2004

On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 05:42, admin2 at forkthepenguin.com wrote:
> I'm running 5.3-Release amd64 on an Asus AV8 motherboard which includes
> Realtek ALC850 audio chipset. I'm unable to get the system to recognize
> the chipset. From the archives/man pages/manual I've :

This is the AC97 chipset, the thing that you load the driver for is different.

> # kldload snd_driver
> kldload: can't load snd_driver: No such file or directory

Try kldload snd_ich, failing that email the output of pciconf -lv

Although snd_driver should work.. What does dmesg say after you've tried to
load it?

> The last one resulted in /dev/sndstat showing up, but the contents show
> no devices :
>
> # cat /dev/sndstat
> FreeBSD Audio Driver (newpcm)
> Installed devices:
>
> However I don't see any snd_* modules in /boot/kernel/*ko

Hmm, well that IS odd :)
[inchoate 10:30] ~ >ll /boot/kernel/snd*.ko | wc -l
      25

Have you rebuilt your kernel? It may be that it failed part way through so you
didn't get the sound driver modules built or installed.

are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum