5.3 Release and Realtek

ctodd at chrismiller.com ctodd at chrismiller.com
Sun Dec 19 18:14:52 PST 2004

> On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 05:42, admin2 at forkthepenguin.com wrote:
> > I'm running 5.3-Release amd64 on an Asus AV8 motherboard which includes
> > Realtek ALC850 audio chipset. I'm unable to get the system to recognize
> > the chipset. From the archives/man pages/manual I've :
>
> This is the AC97 chipset, the thing that you load the driver for is different.

I know, I found out later it's the VIA VT8237 chipset. The information
from Asus makes the codec appear as the chipset.

> > # kldload snd_driver
> > kldload: can't load snd_driver: No such file or directory
>
> Try kldload snd_ich, failing that email the output of pciconf -lv
>
> Although snd_driver should work.. What does dmesg say after you've tried to
> load it?

The problem was that none of the snd_* modules were built, and I did
rebuild the kernel. Once I built the modules, I was able to load the
drivers. I think you need to add "device sound" to get these modules to
build automgically.

So the snd_via8233 is the driver that works, and it's fine if you want
basic functionality (stereo sound, record, etc.) This motherboard (Asus
AV8) has 8 channel audio though. I stumbled across this site :

http://www.opensound.com/freebsd.html

I installed the demo FreeBSD driver (expires every three months) and it
supports the card fully. It's only $30 to buy it, so if I end up doing
multimedia stuff with this system then it's well worth the cost. It's so
nice not having to resort to Linux everytime you want to do something
cool.... This should resolve a bunch of unanswered posts I saw in the list
archives. Thanks for the help.

Here's the output of `cat /dev/sndstat` and mixer.

# cat /dev/sndstat
OSS/FreeBSD 3.99.1i (C) 4Front Technologies 1996-2004

License serial number: E00000008
**** UNREGISTERED VERSION ****

You can order the OSS license using the 'Order permanent OSS license'
function of soundconf command. Alternatively use our ordering page at
http://www.opensound.com/order.html.
Drivers: ALL
License will expire after: 02/2005

*** Unregistered version ***

Build: 200411171937
Kernel: FreeBSD 5.3-RELEASE #2: Sun Dec 19 17:44:30 PST 2004
    blah at blah.com:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/CUSTOM

Card config:
VIA 8233 AC97 audio controller at 0xd800 irq 22

Audio devices:
0: VT8233 (DUPLEX,GRC3)
1: VT8233 (shadow) (DUPLEX,GRC3)
2: OSS Virtual Mixer v2.5 Playback CH #0 (GRC3)
3: OSS Virtual Mixer v2.5 Playback CH #1 (GRC3)
4: OSS Virtual Mixer v2.5 Playback CH #2 (GRC3)
5: OSS Virtual Mixer v2.5 Playback CH #3 (GRC3)
6: OSS Virtual Mixer v2.5 Playback CH #4 (GRC3)
7: OSS Virtual Mixer v2.5 Playback CH #5 (GRC3)
8: OSS Virtual Mixer v2.5 Playback CH #6 (GRC3)
9: OSS Virtual Mixer v2.5 Playback CH #7 (GRC3)

Synth devices:
0: OSS Virtual Synth v2.5

Midi devices:

Mixers:
0: VT8233 (ALC850)
1: Virtual Mixer

History:
dsp5: OUT
dsp6: OUT
dsp7: OUT
dsp8: OUT
dsp9: OUT

# mixer
Mixer vol      is currently set to  75:75
Mixer pcm      is currently set to  75:75
Mixer speaker  is currently set to   0:0
Mixer line     is currently set to  32:32
Mixer mic      is currently set to   0:0
Mixer cd       is currently set to  75:75
Mixer igain    is currently set to  75:75
Mixer line1    is currently set to  32:32
Mixer phin     is currently set to   0:0
Mixer phout    is currently set to   0:0
Mixer video    is currently set to   0:0
Recording source: line

Chris