Multiple IPs in jail

Justin Hopper jhopper at bsdhosting.net
Wed Dec 8 09:51:35 PST 2004

On Wed, 2004-12-08 at 11:51 +0100, Devon H. O'Dell wrote:
> Justin Hopper wrote:
> > On Wed, 2004-12-08 at 00:26 -0800, Aaron Glenn wrote:

> >>Someone hasn't read up on 5.x...
> >

> > I'm confused.  I've been running and developing on 5.x for a few months
> > now, and I'm pretty sure that multiple IPs are not supported (it's
> > always possible that I've missed something...).  I was curious if Poul
> > or anyone else had plans to put the functionality into the base system
> > in the near future?
>
> Correct. 5.x does not have this feature; Aaron, please read for yourself
> before you are rude towards others.

> >>I toyed with it at home without a single issue. Still, in a hosting
> >>environment I'd use 5.x
>
> Are you sure you toyed with it? And in a production environment, I'd
> still recommend 4.10.
>

> > The patch from Pawel that I was looking at was "against-CURRENT", so I
> > was assuming that was for 5, and not some 4.x-CURRENT branch?
>
> Correct. Pawel's patches haven't been incorporated for various reasons,
> but I'm not a committer, so I won't give them. There have been several
> threads on the list questioning this over the last year and a half.
>
> I have run the MIP patch and found no problems. I believe there is a
> race condition that it introduces, but that could be irrelevant /
> incorrect information. I'll leave it up to PJD and others to provide any
> more information if it is necessary and to you to search the lists for
> the other relevant threads.

Thanks for understanding my question, Devon.  I guess at this point I'll
patch a system here and begin testing with it, and hopefully PJD or PHK
or somebody else @freebsd will respond with any plans to roll this
functionality into the base system.  It's really not a problem if there
is no plans to do it, I just don't want to spend a lot of time fiddling
with a patch and then find it in the base system in 5.4 or something.

--
Justin Hopper  <jhopper at bsdhosting.net>
UNIX Systems Engineer