Multiple IPs in jail

Devon H. O'Dell dodell at sitetronics.com
Wed Dec 8 02:51:22 PST 2004

Justin Hopper wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-12-08 at 00:26 -0800, Aaron Glenn wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 08 Dec 2004 00:23:24 -0800, Justin Hopper
>><jhopper at bsdhosting.net> wrote:
>>
>>>Two questions:
>>>
>>>1) Is there any formal plans to incorporate the functionality of jails
>>>binding multiple IPs into the FreeBSD base any time soon?
>>
>>Someone hasn't read up on 5.x...
>

> I'm confused.  I've been running and developing on 5.x for a few months
> now, and I'm pretty sure that multiple IPs are not supported (it's
> always possible that I've missed something...).  I was curious if Poul
> or anyone else had plans to put the functionality into the base system
> in the near future?

Correct. 5.x does not have this feature; Aaron, please read for yourself
before you are rude towards others.

>>>2) Has anyone used Pawel's multiple IP patch in a semi-production
>>>environment?  Can anyone report any problems or issues that they've had
>>>with it?
>>
>>I toyed with it at home without a single issue. Still, in a hosting
>>environment I'd use 5.x

Are you sure you toyed with it? And in a production environment, I'd
still recommend 4.10.

> The patch from Pawel that I was looking at was "against-CURRENT", so I
> was assuming that was for 5, and not some 4.x-CURRENT branch?

Correct. Pawel's patches haven't been incorporated for various reasons,
but I'm not a committer, so I won't give them. There have been several
threads on the list questioning this over the last year and a half.

I have run the MIP patch and found no problems. I believe there is a
race condition that it introduces, but that could be irrelevant /
incorrect information. I'll leave it up to PJD and others to provide any
more information if it is necessary and to you to search the lists for
the other relevant threads.

Kind regards,

Devon H. O'Dell