Ugly Huge BSD Monster

Mario Freitas sub_0 at netcabo.pt
Mon Sep 1 07:42:49 PDT 2003

On Mon, 2003-09-01 at 10:58, Denis Troshin wrote:
> Almost  every  package  I  install requires a few other packages. This
> 'idea   of   using   dependent  packages'  turns  FreeBSD  (and  other
> unix-systems) to an ugly monster.
>
> For  example, I don't need Perl or Python but a few packages I install
> require them.
>
> Does exist a programming under unix without these dependencies?
>
> P.S.  Under Windows it is possible to write not bad applications which
> depend  just  on  libraries (KERNEL32, USER32, GDI32).  And these libs
> exist on every base system!!!
>
> Is it possible in unix?
>
> Before I thought that unix programs very compact, but they are huge!

FreeBSD is not intended to be used as a desktop, it is the best option
for firewall and Internet service features which do not require
extra-packages (or a lot of them) by default.

PS: Do you really need to compare windows "HUGE UGLY" and sluggish
kernel with FreeBSD's?
PS2:The monster has got a name, and it's not really a monster, is a
daemon, it's "Chuck" ehehe

Sincerely,
--
Mário Freitas (sub_0 at netcabo.pt)