Ugly Huge BSD Monster

Matthew Graybosch matthew at starbreaker.net
Mon Sep 1 06:19:37 PDT 2003

On 16:58 Mon 01 Sep     , Denis Troshin wrote:

> P.S.  Under Windows it is possible to write not bad applications which
> depend  just  on  libraries (KERNEL32, USER32, GDI32).  And these libs
> exist on every base system!!!
>
> Is it possible in unix?
>
> Before I thought that unix programs very compact, but they are huge!

If you want compact unix programs, don't use X apps or apps written in
scripting languages like Perl and Python. FreeBSD by itself doesn't offer the
monstrous APIs that Windows offers; it just offers an implementation of the
standard C library (libc). As a result, stock FreeBSD is a very barebones
environment.

--
Matthew Graybosch
http://www.starbreaker.net