patchlevels and FreeBSD source

akanwar at digitarchy.com akanwar at digitarchy.com
Tue Nov 25 17:10:00 PST 2003

Hi all,

Presently I install my servers using a automated pxeboot method. The NFS
image I choose is a copy of the freebsd 4.8-RELEASE cdrom. Post install I
cvsup the plain 4.8-RELEASE server to RELENG_4_8 (taking the patchlevel to
4.8-RELEASE-p15 for example) and then build world. The cvsup/buildworld
takes a long time. These steps are also difficult to automate.

My question is: Is it possible that I update my cdrom image to the to
4.8-RELEASE-p15 before install ? In other words, are the patches that
released as source diffs also available as downloadable cd images?

If the answer is no, then can I patch the cdrom image myself or create a
new PATCHED cd image that I can then use for my NFS installs ?

Thanks for your replies.

Regards,
-ansh