interrupt statistics

John Baldwin jhb at FreeBSD.org
Fri Nov 21 10:38:51 PST 2003

On 21-Nov-2003 Peter Pentchev wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 21, 2003 at 12:13:46PM +0100, Dag-Erling Sm?rgrav wrote:
>> Peter Pentchev <roam at ringlet.net> writes:
>> > I was thinking about the setgid bit too, but it can only be removed when
>> > all of vmstat's functionality, not just dointr(), is converted to use
>> > sysctl.
>>
>> I know; I'm working on it, and am more than half done.
>>
>> > Still, here's the updated patch I was speaking of, just to show you what
>> > I meant about the !VMSTAT_SYSCTL buglet and it being less intrusive;
>> > kvm_openfiles() was not invoked even in the !VMSTAT_SYSCTL case, meaning
>> > dointr() wouldn't work at all then.
>>
>> VMSTAT_SYSCTL is a mistake; vmstat must decide at runtime whether to
>> use sysctl (live system) or libkvm (postmortem).
>
> Oh; right.  Sorry.  Should have picked that up from your last message
> about the postmortem analysis.
>
> By the way, the '???' comes directly from i386/isa/mp_machdep.c, the
> update_intrname() routine; looks like there has never been a device
> driver or anything that has claimed interrupt 0 :)

No, it exists for histerical raisins.  In the older code (such as in 4.x),
the ??? entry was used for any interrupt handler that was registered with
an empty name.  Current no longer will send any interrupts to the ??? bucket
as all interrupt sources have names now.  So, it could conceivably be dropped
from current I guess.