nscd for freebsd

Terry Lambert tlambert2 at mindspring.com
Thu Jun 19 22:29:49 PDT 2003

Chris Shenton wrote:
> Michael Bushkov <bushman at rsu.ru> writes:
> > Can anyone tell me if there is an implementation of nscd for FreeBSD?
>
> For DNS information, have a look at "dnscache" from the djbdns suite.
> Small, secure, fast.
>
> http://cr.yp.to/djbdns.html
> http://www.lifewithdjbdns.org/
>
> If you're trying to cache other data, sorry to bother you.

We are not trying to cache; if any caching happens, it'll be
a side benefit.  What we are trying to do is come up with a
model that:

1)	Moves the dynamically loaded NSS modules out of the
	program address space, and onto the other end of a
	communications channel, so that statically linked
	programs can benefit from NSS modules that are not
	statically compiled into them.

2)	Allow multiple outstanding simultaneous requests on
	the communications channel from a given program, so
	as to provide a cheap and easy way to implement the
	support for the gethostaddr_r() and similar functions,
	which cannot otherwise be easily made thread safe,
	without consuming a socker per thread calling them.

If this yields caching as well, that's just gravy, not the goal.

-- Terry