nscd for freebsd

Michael Bushkov bushman at rsu.ru
Thu Jun 19 22:58:24 PDT 2003

Hello Terry,

Friday, June 20, 2003, 9:28:24 AM, you wrote:

TL> Chris Shenton wrote:
>> Michael Bushkov <bushman at rsu.ru> writes:
>> > Can anyone tell me if there is an implementation of nscd for FreeBSD?
>>
>> For DNS information, have a look at "dnscache" from the djbdns suite.
>> Small, secure, fast.
>>
>> http://cr.yp.to/djbdns.html
>> http://www.lifewithdjbdns.org/
>>
>> If you're trying to cache other data, sorry to bother you.

TL> We are not trying to cache; if any caching happens, it'll be
TL> a side benefit.  What we are trying to do is come up with a
TL> model that:

TL> 1)      Moves the dynamically loaded NSS modules out of the
TL>         program address space, and onto the other end of a
TL>         communications channel, so that statically linked
TL>         programs can benefit from NSS modules that are not
TL>         statically compiled into them.

TL> 2)      Allow multiple outstanding simultaneous requests on
TL>         the communications channel from a given program, so
TL>         as to provide a cheap and easy way to implement the
TL>         support for the gethostaddr_r() and similar functions,
TL>         which cannot otherwise be easily made thread safe,
TL>         without consuming a socker per thread calling them.

TL> If this yields caching as well, that's just gravy, not the goal.

TL> -- Terry

Ok, so if we do a daemon and call all nss_functions from it - will it
help? We'll solve all the problems with statically/dinmically linked
programs and we'll be able to make some caching, by
the way.

We've done such work. As a start, we have implemented nss_files module, which
worked wit a special NSSD daemon. Libc communicated with them using
sockets. That decision worked quite fast and was very stable. If we
port nss_ldap (by PADL.com) and add some caching procedures, we'll
have almost a lookupd analog.

Michael A. Bushkov
Computer Center of Rostov State University

mailto:bushman at rsu.ru