vr(4) duplex problems

Mike Silbersack silby at silby.com
Thu Jun 19 21:13:37 PDT 2003

On Fri, 20 Jun 2003, Daniel O'Connor wrote:

> Hmm, well all I could manage was a 5 port micro switch. It is made by Alloy
> but can autodetect crossover (MDX?). It works fine with the vr port doing
> autodetect, so I guess it's an interaction with the older switch.
>
> No idea how ammenable to software fixing that would be though :(
>
> --
> Daniel O'Connor software and network engineer

Actually, it may be possible to fix through software.  The fact that your
card is using "ukphy" means that we're using the generic PHY support,
which may be doing something slightly wrong for whatever PHY is actually
present on your NIC.  If you look through the various *_phy drivers,
you'll see that some have tiny little variations necessary for proper
operation...

However, since we've established that vr autodetects fine on some hubs,
and that you can force the duplex and have it work ok, I don't think it's
worth the time to track down the problem.  (After all, it may not be
solvable through software.)

However, if you have an interest in learning about the internal workings
of PHYs, I'll be glad to commit patches for you. :)

Mike "Silby" Silbersack