kqueue alternative?

Matthew Hagerty matthew at mundomateo.com
Sun Jun 15 08:55:33 PDT 2003

Greetings,

I'm writing a little application that needs to watch a file that another
process is writing to, think 'tail -F'.  kqueue and kevent are going to do
it for me on *BSD, but I'm also trying to support *cough* linux and other
UN*X types OSes.

>From what I can find on google, the linux community seems very opposed to
kqueue and has not yet implemented it (they say: blah blah blah, aio_*,
blah blah balh.)  What alternatives do I have with OSes that don't support
kqueue?  I'd really hate to poll with stat(), but do I have any other
choices?

Thanks,
Matthew