(bug?) panic in union filesystem - file/.

David Schultz das at FreeBSD.ORG
Sun Jun 15 08:51:31 PDT 2003

On Sun, Jun 15, 2003, Tom Alsberg wrote:
> I recently stumbled upon a crash in the union filesystem.  It seems
> that when trying to stat "<file>/." where file is a regular
> (non-directory) file in a union mounted filesystem, the system will
> panic.
>
> I first noticed this as an effect of zsh (Z shell)'s tab completion,
> which after I checked, tries to lstat "<file>/." if there are no other
> completions and the file exists, to see if it is a directory with
> other files in it which it should try to complete (I do not know why
> they chose to do it this way).
>
> It seems like a bug in the union filesystem to me.  I can reproduce it
> on both 4.8-STABLE and 5.1-CURRENT.

This problem is on my TODO list, but it may take me a while before
I have a chance to look at it.  It would help me to keep track of
it if you could file what you just said (verbatim, even) as a
followup to kern/53004, though.  Thanks for investigating the
issue!