Power consumption in desktop computers

Gregory Sutter gsutter at zer0.org
Sun Dec 28 23:35:27 PST 2003

On 2003-12-27 19:59 -0800, Wes Peters <wes at softweyr.com> wrote:
> On Friday 26 December 2003 05:41 pm, Martin Cracauer wrote:
> >
> > I found that the requirment to run Mozilla Firebird outpaces this
> > CPU.  It's really too bad, if it wasn't for that thing I could happily
> > run my old hardware forever.
>
> Have you tried Opera?  My laptop is a PII-300; Opera 7 runs quite nicely
> and Firebird takes 3 or 4 minutes to start.  There are a few things Opera
> doesn't do, or doesn't do well, but I usually just avoid those (flash,
> for instance.)  KDE apps also run just fine on this old, slow hardware.

I second the Opera 7 recommendation; I run it on my P2-400 laptop
and have grown used to its speed and versatility.  Running the Linux
Opera binary allows the flashplayer to be used; in Opera 7 this works
quite well.  As can be expected, the Flash apps suck CPU but at least
the Flash navigation menus should be usable.  The Acrobat and Real
plugins also work with linux-opera.  Opera's session management is
unmatched as well; it's another must-have browser feature now that
I've experienced it.

Greg
--
Gregory S. Sutter                       "How do I read this file?"
mailto:gsutter at zer0.org                 "You uudecode it."