Power consumption in desktop computers

Wes Peters wes at softweyr.com
Sat Dec 27 19:59:34 PST 2003

On Friday 26 December 2003 05:41 pm, Martin Cracauer wrote:
> Wes Peters wrote on Fri, Dec 26, 2003 at 08:15:38AM -0800:
> > If you want a desktop machine with low power consumption (and far
> > less cooling fan noise as a bonus) you may want to look into the VIA
> > Epia motherboards and systems.
>
> Actually I am posting from one of those - using a tty mailer :-)

Kewl.

> I found that the requirment to run Mozilla Firebird outpaces this
> CPU.  It's really too bad, if it wasn't for that thing I could happily
> run my old hardware forever.

Have you tried Opera?  My laptop is a PII-300; Opera 7 runs quite nicely
and Firebird takes 3 or 4 minutes to start.  There are a few things Opera
doesn't do, or doesn't do well, but I usually just avoid those (flash,
for instance.)  KDE apps also run just fine on this old, slow hardware.

--

        Where am I, and what am I doing in this handbasket?

Wes Peters                                               wes at softweyr.com