Minimalist FreeBSD 4.8

Bill Vermillion bv at wjv.com
Wed Aug 27 09:33:41 PDT 2003

While humming that old rock song Yackety Yacc - Dont Awk Back
freebsd-hackers-request at freebsd.org sang or SED something like this:

> ------------------------------
> Message: 10
> Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2003 10:53:38 +1000
> From: Greg Black <gjb at gbch.net>
> Subject: Re: Minimalist FreeBSD 4.8
> To: Diomidis Spinellis <dds at aueb.gr>
> Cc: freebsd-hackers at freebsd.org

> On 2003-08-26, Diomidis Spinellis wrote:
>
> > Tyler Kellen wrote:
> >
> > > The information I'm looking to aquire is the absolute
> > > minimum files required to boot FreeBSD 4.8 into multi-user
> > > mode. If this involves deleting a massive amount of
> > > directories and files, or setting up a new drive and
> > > copying only the needed files, I think I can make it work.

> > You can use the system the way you intent to for two weeks,
> > and then run

> > find / -atime +2w -print0 | xargs -0 rm -f

> > This command will delete all files that have not been
> > accessed within the last two weeks.

> And it would also remove things like find and xargs and all the
> other system binaries -- their atime does not get changed when
> they are executed. Check your facts before giving this kind of
> advice.

And if you had an entry like this in your /etc/fstab file it
could cause some suprises too.

# Device		Mountpoint	FStype	Options		Dump	Pass#
...[deleted - only left significant line - wjv]
/dev/da0s1f		/usr		ufs	rw,noatime	2	2

This has among other things a new hierarchy and in this
underpowered system I saw no need to write atimes to the inode
which are probably going to be gone in two weeks anyway.

atime is probably not needed in the vast majority of systems IMO.

Bill
--
Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com