Request for a new major character device number

John Baldwin jhb at FreeBSD.org
Mon Apr 28 13:49:32 PDT 2003

On 26-Apr-2003 Thomas Wintergerst wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I need an "official" major device number for the CAPI subsystem for
> *BSD. The file "/usr/src/sys/conf/majors" states that I should contact
> this list to obtain a reserved major device number. The device number
> should be useable in 5.0-RELEASE and earlier releases.
>
> As You may have noticed by watching the the mailing list
> "freebsd-isdn at freebsd.org" I wrote a package for CAPI support for
> FreeBSD. For those not familiar with this term: CAPI is the "Common ISDN
> API", the standard interface to communicate over ISDN with ISDN boards.
>
> The device number is needed to link the kernel CAPI manager and its
> attached device drivers with userspace applications.
>
> Maybe Hellmuth Michaelis, maintainer of I4B, already sent out this
> request. I am in contact with him to integrate the CAPI subsystem into
> "current".

Well, current has a device filesystem that controls /dev and doesn't
require fixed major numbers.  Assuming that userland opens devices by
name, then you don't need a fixed major number for 5.x.  If you backport
the driver to 4.x, then in 4.x a major number can be allocated.