Request for a new major character device number

Thomas Wintergerst Thomas.Wintergerst at nord-com.net
Sat Apr 26 10:49:41 PDT 2003

Hi all,

I need an "official" major device number for the CAPI subsystem for
*BSD. The file "/usr/src/sys/conf/majors" states that I should contact
this list to obtain a reserved major device number. The device number
should be useable in 5.0-RELEASE and earlier releases.

As You may have noticed by watching the the mailing list
"freebsd-isdn at freebsd.org" I wrote a package for CAPI support for
FreeBSD. For those not familiar with this term: CAPI is the "Common ISDN
API", the standard interface to communicate over ISDN with ISDN boards.

The device number is needed to link the kernel CAPI manager and its
attached device drivers with userspace applications.

Maybe Hellmuth Michaelis, maintainer of I4B, already sent out this
request. I am in contact with him to integrate the CAPI subsystem into
"current".

--

Gruss,

Thomas Wintergerst