wi(4) - polling(4) changes / DEVICE_POLLING

Luigi Rizzo rizzo at icir.org
Mon Apr 21 06:47:19 PDT 2003

if i remember well, the "wi" driver copies the packet from the card
to the mbuf using programmed I/O. Switching to polling will just
move the load under a different bucket (SYSTEM or IDLE instead
of INTR) but not change the situation radically, and i
doubt you will achieve significant performance improvements.

This said i cannot think of issues in making wi polling-aware,
as the polling code makes no assumptions on how the device works.

	cheers
	luigi