NTFS drives don't mount in Gnome after switching to NTFS-3G

Joe Marcus Clarke marcus at freebsd.org
Fri Dec 24 23:05:44 UTC 2010

On 12/23/10 3:22 AM, Stefan Stefansson wrote:

> I am using FreeBSD 8.1 Release amd64 with Gnome 2.32.
>
> I followed the directions on the HAL FAQ site and was able to get my NTFS drives to mount automatically when logging in. As this was only Read-Only, I installed the FUSE-NTFS port (sysutils/fusefs-ntfs) so I could use NTFS-3G and be able to write to the drives as well.
>
> I followed the directions in /usr/local/share/doc/hal-0.5.14/README.fuse, however, my NTFS drives no longer load.
>
> I submitted a text file to pastebin that includes all the information requested in the "How do I troubleshoot problems with hal?" section of the HAL FAQ. (I apologize if I should have posted the text here, but I wasn't sure if pasting a 4325 line text file was appropriate)
>
> The URL is: http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=rsZZieNh

Admittedly, I never used fuse, and things have changed a lot of in GNOME
since this README was written.  But in addition to changing the GConf
keys, make sure you copied the mount script to /sbin, replacing the
system mount_ntfs.

Your gnome-mount command is wrong, too.  The HAL UDI is
/org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/volume_uuid_9C1AB32A1AB2FFF6, and you'll
need to be in a DBus-enabled session to use it.

Joe Marcus Clarke
FreeNode / #freebsd-gnome
http://www.FreeBSD.org/gnome