Lose use of keyboard when booted with two USB keyboards then removing one

Gavin Atkinson gavin at FreeBSD.org
Tue Nov 3 15:58:39 UTC 2009

Hi all,

I'm seeing an oddity, which I'm guessing might be a bug in hal, but I
don't know yet.  I only see it in GNOME, not on the console.

I booted this machine (running 8.0-RC2) with two keyboards plugged in:

ugen5.2: <product 0x00db vendor 0x045e> at usbus5, cfg=0 md=HOST spd=LOW
(1.5Mbps) pwr=ON
ugen6.3: <product 0x5500 vendor 0x046e> at usbus6, cfg=0 md=HOST spd=LOW
(1.5Mbps) pwr=ON

Both keyboards work fine from the console and in GNOME.

Now, if I unplug one of the keyboards, the other no longer works.  This
is only in GNOME, it still works fine in the console (which I'm guessing
rules out the new USB subsystem?)

My xorg.conf, the output of "lshal" with both keyboards plugged in and
both working, and "lshal" after one keyboard was unplugged and neither
work are available at http://people.freebsd.org/~gavin/hal-kbd/.

(in this case I unplugged the product 0x5500 vendor 0x046e keyboard, and
found the other keyboard dead)

Please, if you need any more info, let me know, and please keep me cc'd.

Gavin