Lose use of keyboard when booted with two USB keyboards then removing one

Joe Marcus Clarke marcus at marcuscom.com
Thu Nov 26 20:44:35 UTC 2009

On Tue, 2009-11-03 at 15:58 +0000, Gavin Atkinson wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm seeing an oddity, which I'm guessing might be a bug in hal, but I
> don't know yet.  I only see it in GNOME, not on the console.
>
> I booted this machine (running 8.0-RC2) with two keyboards plugged in:
>
> ugen5.2: <product 0x00db vendor 0x045e> at usbus5, cfg=0 md=HOST spd=LOW
> (1.5Mbps) pwr=ON
> ugen6.3: <product 0x5500 vendor 0x046e> at usbus6, cfg=0 md=HOST spd=LOW
> (1.5Mbps) pwr=ON
>
> Both keyboards work fine from the console and in GNOME.
>
> Now, if I unplug one of the keyboards, the other no longer works.  This
> is only in GNOME, it still works fine in the console (which I'm guessing
> rules out the new USB subsystem?)
>
> My xorg.conf, the output of "lshal" with both keyboards plugged in and
> both working, and "lshal" after one keyboard was unplugged and neither
> work are available at http://people.freebsd.org/~gavin/hal-kbd/.
>
> (in this case I unplugged the product 0x5500 vendor 0x046e keyboard, and
> found the other keyboard dead)
>
> Please, if you need any more info, let me know, and please keep me cc'd.

I don't see anything wrong with hal per se.  After the ukbd0 device is
removed, hald continues to report that ukbd1 is available, and is an X11
kbd device.  I strongly suspect this is an X issue.  When you say that
you only see this in GNOME, do you mean you've tried other DE/WMs, and
you do not see the problem there?  What messages do you see in your X
log when you unplug the keyboard?  What happens if you disable hal, and
configure input devices statically for X?