about last gnome-terminal patches (cwd on new)

Joe Marcus Clarke marcus at marcuscom.com
Tue May 5 01:13:33 UTC 2009

On Tue, 2009-05-05 at 01:38 +0200, barbara wrote:
> I'm talking about the cwd patches.
> I prefer the old behaviour, but no problem, I can get used to that.
> But that's why I hate gnome-terminal on most linux distributions right now :).
>
> Another minor annoyance after moving to 2.26 is the cwd on a new tab/window after running su:
>
> [bar at satanasso:~]$ su -
> Password:
> satanasso#
> ... after ctrl+n or ctrl+t, on the new window or tab
> [bar at satanasso:/]$ pwd
> /
>
> I was seeing this before the last set of patches (at least with 2.26.1). Guaranteed.
>
> What's funny is that's apparently happening only with the first gnome-terminal opened!
> Opening another gnome-terminal and doing the same sequence of operations on that one results in a "expected" behaviour.
>
> Could it be caused by something in my shell initialization files?
> Or is anyone else seeing that?

This is part of new code in gnome-terminal which sets the cwd to "/"
just after initialization.  This is to avoid potential problems with
gnome-terminal preventing media from being unmounted.  If the new cwd
code cannot determine the previous shell's cwd, then it will tell the
new terminal to set its cwd to "/".  This is consistent with Linux and
Solaris behavior.