ports/137368: x11-toolkits/libwnck: add menu option to configure dependence on x11/startup-notification

Joe Marcus Clarke marcus at FreeBSD.org
Sun Aug 9 21:40:03 UTC 2009

The following reply was made to PR ports/137368; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus at FreeBSD.org>
To: "Carlos A. M. dos Santos" <unixmania at gmail.com>
Cc: bug-followup at FreeBSD.org, gnome at FreeBSD.org
Subject: Re: ports/137368: x11-toolkits/libwnck: add menu option to
 configure  dependence on x11/startup-notification
Date: Sun, 09 Aug 2009 17:30:13 -0400

 --=-DDN7elIFG383m4X72tBr

 On Sun, 2009-08-09 at 15:34 -0300, Carlos A. M. dos Santos wrote:
 > On Sun, Aug 9, 2009 at 2:56 PM, Joe Marcus Clarke<marcus at freebsd.org> wro=
 te:
 >=20
 > > libgnomeui doesn't make this optional.  I can understand removing the
 > > Python dependency, but startup-notification is quite light, and not
 > > updated very frequently.  I just don't see how this adds much bulk.
 >=20
 > You don't need libgnomeui to run Xfce, so startup notification can be
 > made optional for those who don't need/want to run GNOME. It is
 > already intended to be optional in x11/Terminal, the default Xfce
 > terminal emulator (and will *really* become optional, as soon as the
 > patch I sent in ports/137371 gets committed).

 The issue here is that libwnck changes its behavior when built against
 startup-notification.  This may affect other ports which depend on
 libwnck.  With libglade2, removing the Python dependency was a
 no-brainer.  You just won't get the conversion script.  With libsn, the
 problem is more subtle, and has the potential of hurting unsuspecting
 users.

 I understand what you want to accomplish, but I think in this case the
 user benefit does not outweigh the risk.  This may be re-evaluated based
 on user demand, but for now, I'm inclined to leave libwnck the way it
 is.

 Joe

 >=20
 --=20
 Joe Marcus Clarke
 FreeBSD GNOME Team      ::      gnome at FreeBSD.org
 FreeNode / #freebsd-gnome
 http://www.FreeBSD.org/gnome

 --=-DDN7elIFG383m4X72tBr

 --=-DDN7elIFG383m4X72tBr--