ports/137367: net/libproxy: add menu option to configure dependence on Python

Carlos A. M. dos Santos unixmania at gmail.com
Sun Aug 9 21:20:03 UTC 2009

The following reply was made to PR ports/137367; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: "Carlos A. M. dos Santos" <unixmania at gmail.com>
To: Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus at freebsd.org>
Cc: bug-followup at freebsd.org, gnome at freebsd.org
Subject: Re: ports/137367: net/libproxy: add menu option to configure
	dependence on Python
Date: Sun, 9 Aug 2009 18:11:48 -0300

 On Sun, Aug 9, 2009 at 2:55 PM, Joe Marcus Clarke<marcus at freebsd.org> wrote:
 > On Sun, 2009-08-09 at 13:22 -0300, Carlos A. M. dos Santos wrote:
 >> On Sat, Aug 8, 2009 at 6:11 PM, <marcus at freebsd.org> wrote:
 >> > Synopsis: net/libproxy: add menu option to configure dependence on Python
 >> >
 >> > State-Changed-From-To: open->suspended
 >> > State-Changed-By: marcus
 >> > State-Changed-When: Sat Aug 8 21:11:22 UTC 2009
 >> > State-Changed-Why:
 >> > If Python support is to be made optional, I'd rather it be broken out into
 >> > a separate port like libproxy-mozjs.
 >> >
 >> > http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=137367
 >>
 >> Making it a separate port would ruin the very purpose of the patch,
 >> which is  to make it possible to build a light desktop environment,
 >> based on Xfce. I'm attempting to reduce the number of dependencies,
 >> mainly Python. Please refer to the followup to ports/137368.
 >
 > You misunderstand.  I don't want someone to build libproxy without
 > Python support, then have that break a dependency down the road.  If
 > Python is to be made optional, I'd rather it be removed from libproxy
 > altogether, and put into a libproxy-python port.  That may, people that
 > need Python support can simply build that submodule.  This is akin to
 > how libproxy-mozjs works.

 Ok, now I got it. I will work on a libproxy-python port and submit a followup.

 BTW, I'm trying to figure-out what ports *really* depend on Python,
 but this is a bit difficult. The main problem is that some very basic
 ports depend on it (e.g. libX11, due to the dependence on x11/libxcb).