How to exclude directories from gamin?

barbara barbara.xxx1975 at libero.it
Thu Apr 16 06:33:54 UTC 2009

> > > The secret is to use polling on paths you don't want to lock.  The
> > > problem with FreeBSD's kqueue system is that it requires the
> > > file/directory to be open in order to monitor it.  If you disable kernel
> > > notification for certain paths, and opt for polling, then the files do
> > > not need to be opened, and thus they will not prevent umount from working.
> > >
> > > Joe
> > >

> > So the only "useful" method on FreeBSD should be poll, is it correct?
> > I mean, the one that should be used.
>
> No.  Kernel notification is useful for static directories (e.g. your
> home directory).
>

> > But this is what I've got from the gamin debug:
> >     Dumping mounted file systems
> >     ufs filesystem mounted at /mnt/aux2
> >     ufs filesystem mounted at /mnt/aux1
> >     Dumping file system properties
> >     fstype ufs monitor kernel poll timeout 0
> >
> > So it seems poll is used for /mnt/aux1 and /mnt/aux2 which are ufs fs.
> > Nevertheless I'm unable to umount them.
>
> Are you sure that it's gam_server that's keeping then in use?
>
> Joe

$ sudo mount /dev/ad10s1d /mnt/aux1
$ fstat | grep aux1
bar      gam_server  1152 5265 /mnt/aux1      2 drwxr-xr-x     512  r
bar      gam_server  1152 5267 /mnt/aux1      3 drwxrwxr-x     512  r
bar      gam_server  1152 5268 /mnt/aux1 17546240 drwxr-xr-x     512  r
bar      gam_server  1152 5269 /mnt/aux1 15191040 drwxr-xr-x     512  r
$ sudo umount /mnt/aux1
umount: unmount of /mnt/aux1 failed: Device busy
$ pkill -9 gam_server && sudo umount /mnt/aux1 && echo $?
0