HAL issue

Joe Marcus Clarke marcus at freebsd.org
Tue Apr 7 12:32:42 PDT 2009

A.Yerenkow wrote:
> On 07.04.2009 22:00, Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:
>> yerenkow at uct.ua wrote:
>>
>>> Hello guys!
>>> I'm not in list, so, please reply to me too.
>>>
>>> I've issues with hald on pc-bsd.
>>> It's regular when have russian language, and labeled ntfs/cd drive.
>>> when I click to mount in dolphin, nothing happens, only such records
>>> added to /media/.hal-mtb:
>>>
>>> /dev/ad0s5s1    1001    0       ntfs    nosuid,-u=1001,-C=UTF-8
>>> /media/disk-2
>>> /dev/ad0s5s1    1001    0       ntfs    nosuid,-u=1001,-C=UTF-8
>>> /media/disk-3
>>> /dev/ad0s5s1    1001    0       ntfs    nosuid,-u=1001,-C=UTF-8
>>> /media/disk-4
>>> /dev/ad0s5s1    1001    0       ntfs    nosuid,-u=1001,-C=UTF-8
>>> /media/disk-5
>>> /dev/ad0s5s1    1001    0       ntfs    nosuid,-u=1001,-C=UTF-8
>>> /media/disk-6
>>>
>> I don't see any /dev/ad0s5s1 device in lshal or in GEOM.  This looks
>> like a problem with whatever KDE is using to mount the device.  If KDE
>> were to try and mount /dev/ntfs/stuff, it should work.  In fact, you
>> could test that using gnome-mount which will do the mount via hald:
>>
>> gnome-mount -b -n -v --device /dev/ntfs/stuff
>>
>> Joe
>>
> Thanks Joe, I tried this command and it mounts OK.
> but! In /media/.hal-mtab in records no parameter for encoding, only for
> nosuid.
> And one more thing, if dolphin from KDE tries to mount with something
> different from hald, why is these records
> in /media/.hal-mtab appears?
> which command place it there?

I don't know.  I don't know what dolphin is or what it is doing to try
and mount volumes.

> Joe, I'm not quite familiar with hal, is there somewhere described
> life-cycle of hal-mounted disks?

The only document we have produced is the hal FAQ at
http://www.freebsd.org/gnome/docs/halfaq.html .

kde at freebsd.org

> Wha info I should provide them?

Probably the same info provided here.  Since gnome-mount works, it looks
like PolicyKit and hald are working properly.  I would imagine the
problem revolves around that bogus device node.  I've not sure how KDE
is arriving at that.

>>> If I run manually mount with this parameters, all mounts just fine.
>>> I've attached some diagnostic info, maybe something will help you help
>>> me :)

Joe Marcus Clarke
FreeNode / #freebsd-gnome
http://www.FreeBSD.org/gnome