Gnome slow at start up

Jeremy Messenger mezz7 at cox.net
Sat Dec 6 12:41:24 PST 2008

On Sat, 06 Dec 2008 14:32:21 -0600, Fernando Apesteguía
<fernando.apesteguia at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Dec 6, 2008 at 9:24 PM, Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus at marcuscom.com>
> wrote:

>>> the

>>> but

>>> My bad,
>>>
>>> I should have pointed this out as reference:
>>>
>>> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-questions/2008-December/188032.html
>>>
>>> Any more ideas?
>>
>> You can try ktrace'ing the slow-start processes to see if that yields
>> anything interesting.  However, it would be more beneficial to have
>> these binaries compiled with debugging symbols, then use gdb to get
>> backtraces from them when they're starting up.
>
> I will try with ktrace or truss to see what happens.
>

>> That said, the problem may be some bad configuration pieces.  You might
>> try creating a new, clean account, and see if the problem shows up
>> there.
>
> Yes, it does. I created a new account on the system and I got the same
> result. I have a laptop running 7.0 Release -p5 and I only added the
> lines to /etc/hosts to speed up gnome. Nothing else was necessary.

Can you show us your /etc/rc.conf and /etc/hosts? Also, output of 'ping
`hostname`'. Do you have your own DNS cache server? If you do, have you
check to make sure you have same hostname with your DNS cache and your
machine? A few months ago, one of my friend asked me to help on his
machine for samba problem in GNOME when trying to double click on his
samba icon for slowness and not really works very well. It turned out that
his DNS cache server (he forgot to change/update in his DNS cache) was
mismatch the hostname in his personal machine. Althought, it doesn't
affect slow issue on his GNOME desktop but only on samba icon.

> Cheers
>

>> Joe
>>
>> --
>> PGP Key : http://www.marcuscom.com/pgp.asc