Gnome slow at start up

Fernando Apesteguía fernando.apesteguia at gmail.com
Fri Dec 5 08:23:11 PST 2008

On Fri, Dec 5, 2008 at 5:58 AM, Mel <fbsd.questions at rachie.is-a-geek.net> wrote:
> On Thursday 04 December 2008 19:51:32 Fernando Apesteguía wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I'm running FreeBSD 7.1-BETA 2 and I have some problems with Gnome at start
>> up.
>>
>> When I type startx, I get the gnome desktop and the nice border-less
>> window in which I can see components loading. However, after the
>> gnome-panel icon, it seems to stall.
>> some time later (around a minute or two) nautilus seems to run and I
>> get all the icons at my desktop.
>>
>> I have
>> dbus_enable="YES"
>> hald_enable="YES"
>> in my rc.conf and I can see, both are running.
>>
>> I have the entries suggested in
>> http://www.freebsd.org/gnome/docs/faq2.html#q20 added to my /etc/hosts
>> and I can verify with ping that I don't have any problems with name
>> resolution.
>> I also have both net.inet.tcp.backhole and net.inet.udp.blackhole set to 0.
>>
>> What's the problem? How can I see which process is stalled during start up?
>
> Does this help?
> http://forums.freebsd.org/showthread.php?t=445

Hi Mel, thanks a lot.

The --purge-delay=5000 and --warn-delay=5000 options for gnome-session
fixed the problem.

However, this triggers another question. Since these options decrease
the default timeouts (30000) for clients to connect and clients to
respond respectively, doesn't this mean some process, acting like a
gnome client is stalled or taking too much time to initialize?

Does this worth a PR?

Thanks