Gnome slow at start up

Joe Marcus Clarke marcus at marcuscom.com
Sat Dec 6 12:24:19 PST 2008

On Sat, 2008-12-06 at 21:06 +0100, Fernando Apesteguía wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 6, 2008 at 8:02 PM, Jeremy Messenger <mezz7 at cox.net> wrote:
> > On Sat, 06 Dec 2008 12:04:00 -0600, Fernando Apesteguía
> > <fernando.apesteguia at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Hi all,
> >>
> >> I'm running FreeBSD 7.1 BETA2 for AMD64.
> >>
> >> With this version, Gnome starts up very slowly. If I take a look at
> >> the session properties window, it seems nautilus takes a very long
> >> time trying to connect. However, after some time, it connects but the
> >> gnome-wm script is marked as Status UNKNOWN (That column of the
> >> treeview is not documented and I had to look at the code...).
> >> So it seems at the end, metacity is somehow stalled during start up.
> >>
> >> The --purge-delay=5000 as suggested here
> >> (http://forums.freebsd.org/showthread.php?t=445) causes other
> >> processes (gnome-at-visual and gnome-volume-manager) to be marked as
> >> not connected
> >>
> >> If I only set the --warn-delay=5000 I get gnome-wm (metacity in my
> >> case) to be marked as not responding.
> >>
> >> In the end, everything seems to work fine. However IMHO, it is a bit
> >> dirty to use these two options because they only mask the problem, but
> >> it seems clear there are some faulting processes.
> >>
> >> Any ideas of what the problem is?
> >
> > http://www.freebsd.org/gnome/docs/faq2.html#q20
>
> My bad,
>
> I should have pointed this out as reference:
>
> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-questions/2008-December/188032.html
>
> Any more ideas?

You can try ktrace'ing the slow-start processes to see if that yields
anything interesting.  However, it would be more beneficial to have
these binaries compiled with debugging symbols, then use gdb to get
backtraces from them when they're starting up.

That said, the problem may be some bad configuration pieces.  You might
try creating a new, clean account, and see if the problem shows up
there.