How do I set up "sessions" correctly?

Kevin Oberman oberman at es.net
Sat Oct 27 16:25:12 PDT 2007

> Date: Sat, 27 Oct 2007 14:42:14 -0700
> From: Gary Kline <kline at tao.thought.org>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-gnome at freebsd.org
>

> 	Whenever my new server reboots (probably due to overheating)
> 	it takes me close to 20 minutes to get every application back
> 	where I want it.  I like evolution in Workspace #2, I like to
> 	have firefox and konquorer in Workspace #3, and since I cannot
> 	get the vi/vin BEL to sound in Terminal, I use the KDE
> 	konsole.   In all four workspaces.  I have found that the the
> 	place where the start-up apps are put in thru "Session"
> 	which is found by clicking on System -> Preferences -> Session.
>
> 	I do not see any way of designation a specific *workspace*, and
> 	considering how well thought out both gnome and KDE are, my
> 	thinking is there has got to be  a way.
>
> 	I used//am still using CTWM on three of my five servers; putting
> 	X application into  Workspace N,M or K is a chore there too.   But
> 	if anybody can clue me in, I would be much obliged indeed.
>
> 	gary
>

> --
>   Gary Kline  kline at thought.org   www.thought.org  Public Service Unix
>       http://jottings.thought.org   http://transfinite.thought.org

Gary,

Take a look at the devilspie. It can do a lot of this sort of thing and
is installed as part of gnome. I have not found any good doc on it, but
I believe it does just what you want if you can figure out how to write
the XML configuration.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)