How do I set up "sessions" correctly?

Gary Kline kline at tao.thought.org
Sat Oct 27 18:44:24 PDT 2007

On Sat, Oct 27, 2007 at 04:25:09PM -0700, Kevin Oberman wrote:
> > Date: Sat, 27 Oct 2007 14:42:14 -0700
> > From: Gary Kline <kline at tao.thought.org>
> > Sender: owner-freebsd-gnome at freebsd.org
> >

> > 	Whenever my new server reboots (probably due to overheating)
> > 	it takes me close to 20 minutes to get every application back
> > 	where I want it.  I like evolution in Workspace #2, I like to
> > 	have firefox and konquorer in Workspace #3, and since I cannot
> > 	get the vi/vin BEL to sound in Terminal, I use the KDE
> > 	konsole.   In all four workspaces.  I have found that the the
> > 	place where the start-up apps are put in thru "Session"
> > 	which is found by clicking on System -> Preferences -> Session.
> >
> > 	I do not see any way of designation a specific *workspace*, and
> > 	considering how well thought out both gnome and KDE are, my
> > 	thinking is there has got to be  a way.
> >
> > 	I used//am still using CTWM on three of my five servers; putting
> > 	X application into  Workspace N,M or K is a chore there too.   But
> > 	if anybody can clue me in, I would be much obliged indeed.
> >
> > 	gary
> >

> > --
> >   Gary Kline  kline at thought.org   www.thought.org  Public Service Unix
> >       http://jottings.thought.org   http://transfinite.thought.org

> Gary,
>
> Take a look at the devilspie. It can do a lot of this sort of thing and
> is installed as part of gnome. I have not found any good doc on it, but
> I believe it does just what you want if you can figure out how to write
> the XML configuration.

	I'll look for "devilspie"; thanks for the clue, Kevin.  What may
	be a bottleneck is how much XML I'll need to write.  --But then,
	I hand markup HTML ...  so not that much of a jump.

	gary

	PS:  surprised this hasn't come up before.  [??]  Oh-well.

--
  Gary Kline  kline at thought.org   www.thought.org  Public Service Unix