gnomish port -- a review please?

Jeremy Messenger mezz7 at cox.net
Mon Oct 8 15:24:08 PDT 2007

On Mon, 08 Oct 2007 06:24:37 -0500, Alexey Dokuchaev <danfe at FreeBSD.org>
wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I'm currently trying out Gnome DE again after several years, as well as
> porting several apps for it.  Since all those gconf schemas, desktop
> entries
> et al. are sort of new for me, can someone with gnome@ hat glance over
> attached port?  Things I'm not sure about:

Your attach port doesn't make it to the list. Upload it in freefall would
be best.

>   - Do I need "gnomeprefix" and alike, or they are not necessary here?

Depend on what your port has. If your port has gconf or/and other stuff
that need to be install in share/gnome, then gnomeprefix is a must and
might be gnomehack as well.

>   - Did I get all the paths correctly?

Since your attach doesn't make it, so you can take a look at
ports/misc/gnomehier/files/dirlist to help you with it. Be sure to check
on gnomehack in bsd.gnome.mk too.

>   - I've noticed "@exec %%LOCALBASE%%/bin/update-desktop-database" lines
>     in PLISTs of number of ports, does having a .desktop file in PLIST
>     means I have to add those as well?

No, just depend on if *.desktop has MimeType line in it. Make sure if your
port's installation stuff does run update-desktop-database. If not, then
be sure to run it by manual in post-patch.

# grep MimeType /usr/local/share/applications/gedit.desktop
MimeType=text/plain;

>   - It seems that with Gnome, it's rather hard to make sure everything
>     will install/deinstall/work correctly in case LOCALBASE != PREFIX.
>     In fact, I'm seeing that many ports, including those under courtesy
>     of gnome@, are silenty assume this asserting is true.  So, should I
>     bother diligently creating and then @dirrmtry'ing all needed
>     directories, or just assume it's all there?

If you have all stuff installed in LOCALBASE, but a port install in
different prefix by custom PREFIX then it might or might not work. Just
depend on what your port has. GNOME works best if everything is in a same
prefix.

>   - Anything else I missed along the way?

There has GNOME port manual over at http://www.freebsd.org/gnome/ (current
www.freebsd.org is down).. If there is anything that we have missed or not
clear enough for you, let us know and we can try to make it better.

You can check
http://www.marcuscom.com:8080/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/portstools/auto-plist/ ,
it works great with GTK/GNOME ports. The auto-plist will adding
update-desktop-database in plist for you if it needs and other stuff such
as update-mime-database and etc.

--

While I am here, just let you know about that in GNOME 2.20. It's a big
change, there will be no longer custom hack for share/gnome. A lot stuff

[1]
http://www.marcuscom.com:8080/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/ports/misc/gnomehier/files/dirlist

> Thanks in advance,
>
> ./danfe

FreeBSD GNOME Team  -  FreeBSD Multimedia Hat (ports, not src)
http://wiki.freebsd.org/multimedia  -  multimedia at FreeBSD.org