gnomish port -- a review please?

Alexey Dokuchaev danfe at FreeBSD.org
Mon Oct 8 04:24:37 PDT 2007

Hi there,

I'm currently trying out Gnome DE again after several years, as well as
porting several apps for it.  Since all those gconf schemas, desktop entries
et al. are sort of new for me, can someone with gnome@ hat glance over
attached port?  Things I'm not sure about:

  - Do I need "gnomeprefix" and alike, or they are not necessary here?
  - Did I get all the paths correctly?
  - I've noticed "@exec %%LOCALBASE%%/bin/update-desktop-database" lines
    in PLISTs of number of ports, does having a .desktop file in PLIST
    means I have to add those as well?
  - It seems that with Gnome, it's rather hard to make sure everything
    will install/deinstall/work correctly in case LOCALBASE != PREFIX.
    In fact, I'm seeing that many ports, including those under courtesy
    of gnome@, are silenty assume this asserting is true.  So, should I
    bother diligently creating and then @dirrmtry'ing all needed
    directories, or just assume it's all there?
  - Anything else I missed along the way?

Thanks in advance,

./danfe