(minor) issues after upgrading to 2.20

Kevin Oberman oberman at es.net
Thu Oct 4 16:22:35 PDT 2007

> From: Frank Jahnke <jahnke at sonatabio.com>
> Date: Thu, 04 Oct 2007 14:32:29 -0700
> Sender: owner-freebsd-gnome at freebsd.org
>
> On Thu, 2007-10-04 at 15:47 -0500, Jeremy Messenger wrote:
> >
> > > 9. OO.o had to be rebuilt.  Again, not a bug, but it might be worth
> > > mentioning in UPDATING.  This could also be xorg, as I upgraded both at
> > > nearly the same time.
> >
> > Maybe it needs to be bump instead add it in UPDATING. You mean by OO.org2?
>
> Right.  I had been on OO.o m200/xorg 7.2/Gnome 2.18.3, and it worked.
> When I completed the upgrade to 7.3/2.20 it no longer did.  There were
> no error messages -- it just did not do anything.
>
> Compiling OO.o 2.3 restored its functionality.  Again, this may be an
> xorg issue.

Deliberate annoyance from the OOo people. They deliberately block error
messages, I guess to be more like Windows(tm). Several times in the past
different upgrades have broken OOo so that it simply exists silently.

I hate unneeded version bumps and would prefer not to see one for OOo
since many people that either don't run Gnome or will hold off on
updating until the dust settles will end up building OOo
repeatedly. This is between 5 and 22 hours, depending on which of my
systems I'm building it.

If I wanted that behavior, I'd run Windows!
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)