Curious behavior of HAL in 2.18

Kevin Oberman oberman at es.net
Wed Mar 21 04:08:50 UTC 2007

> From: Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus at marcuscom.com>
> Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2007 23:54:21 -0400
>
> On Tue, 2007-03-20 at 15:10 -0700, Kevin Oberman wrote:
> > Following up my own message, It is not the mounting or umounting of a
> > system that triggers it. It is the creation or deletion of a device in
> > /dev.
> >
> > I can understand this triggering HAL, but I don't know why it wants to
> > alway remount all of the system partitions.
>
> Please provide a step-by-step procedure of what you're doing to create
> this behavior as well as the version of FreeBSD.

Only one step:
mdconfig -f file
or
mdconfig -d -u 1
In stable, the first would have been "mdconfig -a -t vnode -f file".

FreeBSD slan.es.net 7.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 7.0-CURRENT #0: Mon Mar 19 09:07:43 PDT

A couple of seconds after I issue the command (which creates or deletes
/dev/md1), I get the messages.

All ports are current except p5-Cairo which won't build the new version.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)